Representing Ourselves:blog task (MM41)

1) Who are you

Everyone has constructed an image of themselves to communicate their identity, they want to be seen as this, when in reality they are really not.

I think, therefore I am

A time where the notion of the person was less centralised on, where our identity was based on aspects which were not within our control: class, age, gender, religion etc.

From citizen to consumer

Our identity is constructed through the creation of our desires and needs, going beyond essentials.

The rise of the individual

People began defining themselves as individuals in the second half of the 20th century and wanted to be unique and different.

Branding and lifestyle

Choosing products which best represent us/our personality.

Who will we be?

Social networking sites allow us to create an image of ourselves.


2)
  • Rimmel (nail polish)- I like to wear nail polish frequently, they are high quality and nice.
  • Apple- I have an IPad which I frequently use.
  • New Look- They have nice/well made clothes and I usually buy my clothes from there.
  • Olay hand cream- Keeps skin soft.
  • Poison Dior- Smells nice and the bottle looks nice!

3) I agree that modern media is all about 'style over substance'. This is because people are more concerned about constructing an appealing image of themselves or others to catch attention rather than something which is intellectually important. Additionally, the media favours beauty and appearance more than actual content, we can see this through the amount of fashion they advertise.

4) Baudrillards theory of 'media saturation' states how issues such as fashion and beauty have become more dominant over internal traits such as intelligence or compassion. He relates to hyper reality and talks about the divisions which are created. 

5) I think my presence on social media is an accurate reflection of who I am. This is because I hardly use it and if I do the image isn't really changed, there may be an odd filter. I haven't removed any pictures, I barely add them.

6) I believe that data mining is an interesting/effective way of appealing to different audiences. It is also accurate so you can easily get a product you are interested in. However, it is an invasion of privacy which could be concerning for some people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sims FreePlay case study part 1 - Language & Audience

Oh Comely- Language and Representation

Media Factsheet 76: News Values