January assessment: Learner Response

1)

WWW- Excellent use of media terminology throughout your responses. You clearly really revised well and know your theories.
 EBI- You need to answer the question through evaluating, rash theory's weaknesses and strengths (backed with examples) rather than just defining what each theory is. Come to judgement.

2) Q1: Full marks!

   Q2: An against argument- Younger viewer don't really watch live TV in the same way as older  generations. Netflix and Amazon Prime will dominate TV market eventually.

   Q3: Moral panic and technopanics.

3) On a scale of 1(low)-10(high) I would rate my revision at 6/7. This is because I didn't fully concentrate when I was meant to be revising so I wasn't fully prepared.

4) For question 1, I got 6/6. I managed to write about 3 different strategies, and about 3 benefits.

5) For question 2, I got 6/9. I did write about the BBC and commercial broadcaster like ITV and Channel 4. I could have added more disadvantages. I could have had a more balanced and accurate answer. This was my weakest, I lost easy marks.

6) For question 3, I got 13/20.

New paragraph:

Furthermore, another theory is Moral Panic, a theory introduced by Stanley Cohen. Moral Panic occurs when someone or something is defined by the media as a threat to society. Cohen suggested in his 1972 book 'Folk Devil's and Moral Panics' that a moral panic occurs when a "condition, episode, person or group of people emerges to become defined as a threat to societal values and interests." Cohen also suggested that the media plays an important role in creating moral panic, even if it is through news reports. This implies that the media does not have a damaging effect on audiences as it's just a convenient scapegoat to blame for issues in societies, such as poverty or violence. Also, the fact that people nowadays are more media literate means that they are aware of when the media uses scapegoats to tackle issues and put the blame on other people, such as associating Muslims with being terrorists, so people will just ignore what the media have to say as they know it's just a moral panic.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sims FreePlay case study part 1 - Language & Audience

Oh Comely- Language and Representation

The Sims FreePlay case study part 3 - Representations